Drinkable Earrings, a photo by Chris Early on Flickr.
1. Get out and walk.It's Jane's Walk weekend and there are 21 guided walks to choose from! It's a great opportunity to explore, learn and be inspired. Learn about Guelph's cinema history, tour the University of Guelph's Arboretum, discover our future eco-park - the Yorklands Green Hub, check out a street that is "living in community", or stroll through The Wonderful Waterworld of Ward 3. Walks take place at various times and locations throughout the weekend.
2. Step inside some of Guelph's finest heritage buildings and unique spacesOwners and managers of a variety of buildings - many of which are not normally open to the public - have agreed to open their doors for guided tours of the buildings and spaces that make Guelph unique. Doors Open Guelph runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.
3. Purchase poppies or perennials for your gardenThe annual Poppy Push Plant Sale and fundraiser for McCrae House features several varieties of poppies for sale as well as perennials from the historic gardens. This event takes place, rain or shine, at McCrae House on Saturday, May 3 from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm. Poppy varieties available at the sale include Oriental and Allegro perennials and, of course, the “Flanders” corn poppy.
4. Check out the Native Tree SaleAttend the Native Tree Sale and discover how trees can help you save money on energy costs and increase the value of your home. Experts from the City of Guelph’s Healthy Landscapes program and Brock Road Nursery will be on-hand to provide advice on tree selection and the value of planting the right tree in the right spot. A large selection of native trees will be available, plus there’ll be giveaways, draws and lots of great landscaping tips and tricks! Your tree purchase includes a watering bag, a mulch mat, free tree delivery and a rebate on planting of your tree, and a chance to win the cost of your tree.
5. Shop at the Guelph Farmers' MarketShop for quality produce, meats, cheese, baked goods, preserves, and delicious foods prepared by Market vendors. Some arts and craft items are also available. Open Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 12 noon.